Part 1 of 2 WFS (Wannabe Fighter Syndrome)

Welcome to my blog, a place were I can free up some space in my head by releasing into the world some thoughts, ideas and general musings on a vast array of topics that have puzzled, interested and irritated me  in equal measure, over the years. I’ve come to the realisation  that I have to unburden myself  in some way  and  if I carry on using my long suffering  girlfriend as a sounding board she’ll  soon be my ex long suffering girlfriend. So here I am, in the warm fuzzy embrace of the Internet.

Part 1.
Wannabe Fighter Syndrome/Cage Fighter Syndrome:  The  first of the  subjects I’d like to tackle in my blog is in two parts. It’s something I’ve seen steadily on the rise, with increasing worry  in my ten years in the great sport of MMA, and needs to be put under the microscope, scrutinised and dealt with before it takes hold and destroys any more innocent lives.
So…. where to begin,  well it’s a syndrome that I’ve called, no … diagnosed as… ‘WFS’ ( wannabe fighter syndrome)  and ‘CFS’ (cage fighter syndrome).
I’m going to talk you though some of the finer points of these two syndromes, so you can easily spot some of the danger signs in those that have been afflicted by this terrible disease whether it be a friend, family member  or god forbid YOU. There is no need to fear though, as there is a beacon of  hope  at the end of the tunnel in the form of this blog that will cast a light upon these troublesome syndromes to highlight, tackle and defeat these truly sickining afflictions.
So first off WFS (wannabe fighter syndrome), even though there are a lot of similarities  between WFS and CFS (cage fighter syndrome) self denial being at the top of the list, It’s quite easy to tell them apart. First off, WF’s  (wannabe fighter’s) won’t actually EVER fight, they’ll just talk and talk Ad nauseaum about “cage  fighting”. WF’s will even go as far as organising said fight but ultimately, like a lot of guys who are starting their MMA careers will testify to, come fight day they have  been left ‘high and dry’  with nothing but  excuses ringing in their ears. If your a serious fighter starting out in the world of MMA it’s best to familiarise yourself with some of the excuses, which will be winging their way towards you from the WF’ers you will unfortunately meet… or in this case not meet.
Firstly the more common garden variety excuse of “I’ve injured myself while training and the injury seemed to have flared up on the  day of the fight ” to the more flamboyant of excuses where the WFS’s  go all out with “I’d like to fight but my manager (he manages himself ) has just informed me that the UFC have been scouting me ( he’s never fought) and are poised to offer me a development contract (which doesn’t exist)
Another classic mistake he’ll make, since he’s not actually a fan of the sport but rather what it represents to dullards like himself, will be calling MMA  ‘UFC’  or ‘Cage Fighting’ not the actual name ‘Mixed Martial Arts’ as they’ve either never heard of it by it’s correct terminology or if they have heard of it, chose to ignore it as it doesn’t sound ‘hardcore’ enough for them.
He’ll also adorn himself with various clothing decorated with skulls, flames and crosses. Just in case you’re blind or somehow miss him, he’ll be the one red faced and screaming  fuck all very loudly while watching the “Cage fighting”. Breaking down to any unfortunate soul who is present with a set of ears, the list of mistakes the losers and winners have made, that the steely eyes of this trained killing machine has noticed.
Really, as hard as it is, these people should be pitied to a certain extent as their afflicted with an ‘overactive self denial gene’. You can witness people i believe to have this overactive gene.  Just flick on the TV and watch the X Factor or any of the other primetime reality TV shows and there you will surely witness some ‘no hoper’ wheeled out for everyone’s general amusement, glassy eyed with conviction and awash in the powerful substance that is…. self denial. The WF’s are those people who instead of singing have decided to boost their self esteem through the world of MMA. So much so, they will base their whole persona on a twisted  image/ideal of what they’ve created in there limited landscape of a mind rather than  face the cold hard reality that unfortunately  greets them every morning when they look in the mirror.
It’s tempting to just leave them to their fantasy world where the legends of MMA speak in hushed tones around the gym about the ‘God’ like Fat Pale Kid with social problems who will one day put down the play station controller, leave his bedroom and take the MMA world in-between his overdeveloped thumbs and crush all naysayers.
However I did mention pity earlier and this very much depends on the extend of the illness. For example if I were talking about afore mentioned fat kid, who rarely leaves his bedroom, takes a Ju Jitsu class every blue moon before tapping out to Asthmatic problems. Whilst it is annoying to hear him spout on about his future UFC Title Reign there is no real harm done (apart from to your ear drums) plus a WF of this nature, when it comes to the crunch knows his physical limitations and is afraid of getting out of breath, never mind getting hurt.
So, unless they get run over by a bus on the way to training, all is well.
I’m talking here about the more advanced cases of WF’s where the said subject trains fairly often and arranges fights before a sudden death in the family etc etc. Now it’s your duty when you train with such people to go heavy and hard, i’m not talking about taking they’re head off or bullying anyone, i’m just saying be sure to make them realise as best you can that this is a hard sport and while your not trying to intentionally hurt them, if they ever run out of pretend family members that pass away and actually man up and fight, the person they’re fighting will. That way self denial will be smashed and they can either improve or go back to the Play Station.
Now before I attempt to dissect this more complicated of the syndromes.  I have to make a few things clear. When I mentioned I was starting a blog and this was my first topic I got a few response that went along the lines of ” yeah make sure you mention the likes of Brock Lensar and Alex Reid” which ironically I wasn’t going to mention at all until  they mentioned to me, to mention them, but now i feel have to mention them…  phew did that make sense, i’m not to sure, anyway they don’t have anything to do with the topic I’m addressing but seeing as they came up they’re good examples of how I think people get confused. First off Brock Lesnar fought a former UFC champion on his second fight and had won the UFC HW Title by his sixth fight. He isn’t suffering with either syndrome. Just because he was in the WWE doesn’t detract from what he has achieved in MMA which is alot in a short amount of time, same goes for Alex Reid if you actually take the time to watch some of his fights you’ll see he’s one tough mofo who has had some great wars in his MMA career. It doesn’t matter who he marries or what dress he might be wearing this week, you can’t take these facts away.
I don’t want to concentre too much on the WFS’s as anyone with an ounce of foresight and intelligence can see them for what they really are and if you can’t, you deserve to be bombarded 24/7 with the insane ramblings that is spewed out indiscriminately at anyone in a 500 metre radius. As annoying and gut churningly irritating they are, you will always come across such people no matter where you are in the globe and dealing and putting up with them i like to think, is part of our evolution as humans. This helps me cope.
Will be KO-ing .. CFS (Cage Fighter Syndrome) in Part 2, unleashed in a couple of days!

47 thoughts on “Part 1 of 2 WFS (Wannabe Fighter Syndrome)

1. Kyle says:

I am enjoying this read so far! I am looking forward to part 2!

2. jcolossus says:

Cheers Kyle, appreciate it m8, Part 2 on it’s way in a couple of days

3. Edwin says:

nice post james

4. I like it. I thought Alex Reid was a pretty tasty fighter,shame he let his career suffer by courting the media and neglecting his training. Nice blog James, well done.

5. Ken says:

Thanks for telling the truth about Brock. Why do the “pro fans” hate on a accomplished guy like him? That is just stupid. Wannabes.

6. Blur says:

I do the UFC mate so don’t mess yeah

7. zambofan says:

Hahaha this is a great blog Colossus!

8. TonyB says:

“He’ll also adorn himself with various clothing decorated with skulls, flames and crosses”

Very true… now where’s my Tapout t shirt?

9. Anthony says:

Hey James, You write well and intelligently.

I had this view of you as, er… not all that bright.

Very surprised.

Keep it up, sir!

10. rj says:

Nice article. I know this is for MMA but reading at Eastside Boxing there’s a similar number of deranged folks there for boxing. Too bad we can’t arrange sparring sessions in training gyms where these people get “stretched” to borrow an old-time wrestling phrase.

11. mark says:

Great blog. Especially re Alex Reid and Lesnar. Thing is, when I was training back in 87 you couldn’t move for f@@king Ninjas springing up all over the show, now its “cagefightin”. And for the love of christ, how are people STILL seeing a gap in the market for “Appetite for Destruction” style new t-shirts? Anyway, I shall tune in for more of this nonsense again. Jolly good. Carry on. As you were chaps. Stop that smithers its disgusting. And probably turkish.

12. mark says:

Talking of Ninjas. I’m going to Japan on wednesday and will visit a resteraunt run by ninjas. Seriously. I will be masaki hatsuming my way through a dinner eaten with a grappling hook and the ashida kim special fried rice.

13. Tito_Ortiz says:

God thats me…..I talk a good fight…..But i’m just useless…lol…

• jcolossus says:

first step of solving any problem is recognising it, the second step is picking up the play station controller you had to put down in order to write this lol

14. Dame. says:

WAR COLOSSUS FROM MACEDONIA.

You have all around the world.

15. Don Fryes tash says:

Hey James, great blog so far. I saw you fight live at cage rage 13 and have been a fan ever since! Looks like you are on a roll at the moment, a couple of great wins! Keep fighting the great fight my man!

16. Chris says:

it does make me laugh when i hear excuses like the one you mentioned james that these so called fighters use like the death in the family which pisses me off as its something close to my heart as i arranged a fight while my father while was dying of cancer in the hospital as a way to make him proud of me then four weeks out he died.
    what did i do ? i still fought , i lost but still fought dedicating the fight to him. not only that but i had nerve damage in my neck . so any of these so called wannanbes can read this and feel just a little less manly.

17. Derek mackay says:

I really dig your blog James,much respect from Scotland bro! Look forward to hearing your views on TRT next,keep up the good work!

18. L says:

Huge fan of yours since the PRIDE FC days, especially your fight against Don Frye. This was great reading, and everything you said is dead-on.

WAR THOMPSON!!!

19. jcolossus says:

Part 2 on it’s way Friday Klye

• Kyle says:

Awesome! I’m looking forward to it! Btw, you have definitely been one of my favorite fighters since I watched Pride videos of you. You definitely bring it every fight and that is something to be admired these days. Not many people can say they have fought the absolute best of the best and still have a winning record like you do.

20. Don Fryes tash says:

Kyle, I couldn’t agree more. The colossus brings it every time and you have to respect that.

James will you be fighting in the uk any time soon? Who is your next fight? Give us the scoop!

• jcolossus says:

Alright m8 thanks for reading. Not going to be fighting UK anytime soon in India for the forseeable with tge SFL not sure whos next but think it’s going to be in May soon as I no I give u a heads up.

21. Tom says:

I train on UFC trainer twice a week with hopes of one day stepping into a cage

22. Edward Mykle says:

Great read, James! Blogging’s a perfect way to get things like this out that piss us off lol.. Looking forward to reading more. Would be cool to see more fighters doing this as it’s nice to get your perspective on the sport and the industry dealings as well.

Cheers!
    -EM

23. [...] these troublesome syndromes to highlight, tackle and defeat these truly sickining afflictions. continue reading… Spread The Movement:MoreEmailShare on TumblrLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This [...]

24. Mick Kelly says:

Great Article, I’m really enjoying this blog. I’ll be spreading the word,

25. Johan says:

This is a very well written blog! And much enjoyed! If you ever hang up your gloves, why not look into writing?

26. I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that too few folks are speaking intelligently about. Now i’m very happy I found this in my hunt for something concerning this.